For those of you reading the posts on my spiritual journey, I’ll post the next entry soon. Today I’m taking a break for a little fun.
Do you all remember Skeleton Key, last summer’s Round Robin Blogvel? It was possibly the most fun I’ve ever had with my blog, and I think we need to do it again.
What’s a Round Robin Blogvel, you may ask? It is a Blog Novel, written by many different authors.
Here are the details of how it works:
- I will write chapter one and post it on my blog.
- The next Monday, someone else will write chapter two, based on my beginning, and post it on his or her blog.
- The Monday after THAT, someone else will write the next chapter, based on developments in previous chapters, and post it on his or her blog.
- Repeat until everyone has had a turn.
- I will write the concluding chapter and post it on my blog, UNLESS someone else feels a burning desire to do so.
- Each person who posts a chapter will include a link to the FIRST chapter (for newcomers who want to start reading at the beginning), a link to the PREVIOUS chapter, and a link to the blog where the NEXT chapter will go up, to make it easier for readers to follow the whole story.
- I will make a Round Robin Blogvel page and update it weekly.
- Chapters will go up on Monday every week.
- The more authors who participate, the longer our blogvel will be.
I think it’ll be a great way for writers to meet other writers, and for readers to find more awesome blogs they didn’t know about. Also I think it will be very fun.
So here are the RULES:
- You can write in your own style, and you can make just about anything happen. The only thing I ask is that what you write flows naturally from what came before. A hypothetical example: If Mary Sue has always been kind to animals throughout previous chapters, and you decide she is going to throw stones at a puppy in your chapter, you MUST provide a believable motivation for the sudden change. Like, you know, demon possession, or being under a spell. Or maybe a killer puppy.
- Please keep chapters to 2,500 words or less
- Please be sure you can do it if you sign up. It will be more difficult for everyone (but especially me) if you flake out.
- Post your blog entry on MONDAY the week your chapter is scheduled. Email me a link to your chapter at michelle [dot] simkins [at] gmail [dot] com.
- I’m happy to give feedback/editing help to anyone who participates–if you can get me your chapter by noon Pacific Time on the Sunday before it’s due.
Now you are asking, “How do I join in on this fantastic adventure?” Lucky for you, no dwarves or wizards need mar the green paint on your door to issue an invitation. All you have to do is email me at michelle [dot] simkins [at] gmail [dot] com. When you send your email:
- put “Round Robin Blogvel” in the SUBJECT line.
- include a link to your blog
- let me know if you want to write a chapter at the beginning, middle, or end of the blogvel. OBVIOUSLY if you start at the beginning, you will be writing your chapter sooner. If you go middle or end, you are at the mercy of the plot twists of all authors who came before you.
- Get your email to me by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, May 31.
After sign-ups close, I will take all the authors’ requests and assign chapter numbers to everyone. We’ll shuffle things around as need-be over the weekend, and I’ll post Chapter 1 on Monday, June 4th.
Still undecided? Consider reading Skeleton Key, and see how much fun you’ll miss if you don’t participate.